Financial » Financial Aid » FAQs

How can I be reinstated if I lose my financial aid?

A student who has been terminated due to satisfactory academic progress may be reinstated if he earns the 2/3 cumulative hours needed and has a cumulative 2.0 GPA. When the student attends at his own expense to qualify for reinstatement, he must enroll in courses which are required for his degree or certificate and he may not repeat courses which he has already passed. Jefferson State’s Financial Aid Office allows a student two terms of attendance before he will be dropped from aid for failure to make academic progress.

A student whose financial aid is terminated because he fails to make satisfactory academic progress may appeal. Appeals must be made in writing to the Director of Financial Aid and must indicate why the student believes he should not be terminated from financial aid. Appeal application are located on the JSCC web page, financial aid section then Appeal Process. Located on the appeal form is the deadline for each semester as to when the appeal is due.

If you have over 32 attempted hours and your Grade Point Average is below a 2.0 you will not be eligible to receive aid until your GPA is a 2.0 or higher. Students cannot appeal to receive aid if their GPA is below a 2.0 and they have attempted 32 hours at Jefferson State or had hours transferred in form a former school.