Financial » Financial Aid » FAQs

I received a letter that says I am not making Academic Progress. What does that mean?

Federal regulations require that financial aid recipients show satisfactory academic progress toward their degree objective. In order to complete a program in the maximum time frame, a student must earn 2/3 of the hours he attempts. Those who do not will be terminated from aid. Programs governed by the satisfactory academic progress policy include the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal ACG, Federal Work Study and the Federal Stafford Loan (both subsidized and unsubsidized). Academic progress will be monitored for all periods of enrollment, whether or not the student received financial aid during those periods. Academic progress is based upon original enrollment hours at Jefferson State; therefore, withdrawals, incomplete and failures are considered hours attempted but not earned. When academic progress is measured, all work attempted at Jefferson State and all transferred in credit hours from other institutions will be considered.